Figure Drawing Thread – Share Your Work

• Figure Drawing Thread – Share Your Work

Posted by Drawing on October 23, 2019 at 1:23 pm

Hello Everyone,

We’d love to see your figure drawings. Let’s use this discussion thread to share our work and give each other feedback.

The best way to get feedback is to ask specific questions.

Click REPLY to share your figure drawings here!

Drawing America

Simon replied 4 days, 17 hours ago 12 Members · 27 Replies
  • 27 Replies
  • Simon

February 21, 2024 at 6:51 am

Wondering if anyone has feedback for me on this drawing.

• Drawing

Organizer
    December 9, 2023 at 8:19 am

A brilliant celebration of the figure model. ‘Ed’ was a graduate final project by Taha Neyestani done entirely using Photoshop. This is an excerpt…

https://youtu.be/R3-IR_A_30k

• Priscilla

December 1, 2023 at 5:08 pm

Hi! Love seeing everyone’s work! Here’s a few I did a little while back.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 4 weeks ago by  Priscilla.
    • Drawing

Organizer
      December 2, 2023 at 9:02 am

Hello Biomimi! We recognize the chair from our studio, are we right?

These are lovely drawings and you are completing the figure which is terrific and not that common.

Are you looking for feedback or just to share?

Hope all is well!

• Layal.Azzan

November 26, 2023 at 5:09 pm

some of my previous works

• Simon

November 27, 2023 at 8:10 am

Hi Layal,

I am trying to identify who you are referencing in your drawings. Is it @Will Weston or from another source?

Great to see you working so hard to further your understanding of the human form!

• kat.knutsen

November 22, 2023 at 4:04 pm

This is a sketch I made with soft vine charcoal on newsprint that explores multifigure design. I was looking for a way to frame the figures with a vessel- like approach.

• Drawing

Organizer
      November 22, 2023 at 4:51 pm

Hi Kat, I love the phrase “vessel-like” and feel and feel you have achieved volume in so many parts of the figures. The one place it could be enhanced is in the easiest place to add it, namely around the knees. The bench beneath that area of the drawing is a great simple guide to showing shape and if it were a bit more solid, the knees could easily project out more completing the sense of volumetric forms. It is a terrific drawing.

• alex

November 21, 2023 at 12:16 pm

Saturday, Oct 2, 2021

• Drawing

Organizer
      November 21, 2023 at 6:14 pm

Hi Alex,

I hope all is well!

Come back to another session in our new classroom…bring the smelly markers!

😄

• Drawing

Organizer
    November 21, 2023 at 11:47 am

Here’s a beauty from Edward Hopper!

• Carl

January 14, 2021 at 1:12 pm

currently on Wil’s figure drawing course, i wasnt happy with my 15 attempts for the homework, but didnt want to just hand in images i liked because the goal is to learn, so here is some of the extra practice i did.

these are a mix of 1, 3 and 5minute drawings

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by  Drawing.
  • Steven

March 3, 2020 at 3:31 pm

Working on anatomy placement and proportions. Looking for critique. Thanks!

• Drawing

Organizer
      March 4, 2020 at 8:49 am

Hello Steven, Thank you for sharing your work. It is admirable that you are placing specific muscles and muscle groups in the areas they belong to on the body. The issue is with volume and shape as I see it.

Volume: If you think of a chicken breast from the supermarket laid flat on the counter, you will see it has some volume (the thickness of the muscle). But the shape is flat, inherited from the countertop.

Shape: Now if you think of that same muscle as part of a whole chicken you will see the breast, in addition to maintaining its volume, now has a shape which it gets from being attached to different bones. It is wrapped around the rib cage and so takes on the shape of the rib cage.

Your drawing will benefit greatly, I believe if you first think of the volume and structure of the bones the muscles are attaching to and then draw the muscles around those volumes.

In the Davinci drawing attached, notice how each muscle has its own volume but also inherits its shape from the bones it attaches to.

Does that make sense?

• Steven

March 4, 2020 at 9:42 am

Makes total sense! The chicken example is a perfect analogy. I realize now that I was just focused on getting the muscles in the right spots and wasn’t taking the time to visualize them as three dimensional forms. I’ll work on it and re-post when ready!

• Christopher

November 10, 2019 at 11:13 pm

Two 30 min. poses from this morning’s session at Hipbone Studio.  forgive the image quality.  I don’t have a great technique for photographing my drawings at this time.  One was a foreshortening  nightmare/adventure, that didn’t turn out great but was fun to do.  The model, Isan, has very long arms, legs, and torso which were a bit difficult to not exaggerate.

• Todd

November 8, 2019 at 4:13 am

Hello, Here is one of my drawings from last night’s drawing nights here in Winnipeg. Thanks for looking!

• Drawing

Organizer
      November 8, 2019 at 12:31 pm

Hi Todd, That’s a terrific drawing. Can you let us know how long that pose lasted? I am guessing it was a twenty-minute pose. I like how the shadow shapes describe form and the figure gets squared up at boney landmarks (as within the hand).

• Todd

November 8, 2019 at 9:21 pm

Thanks a lot, I appreciate it. I think you’re correct, it was 20 minutes! Any time I post something feel free to say if you think something could be better as I don’t have a real critical eye up here to help me out. Thanks again, I’m really enjoying the course, I’ve found it really helpful so far.

• Drawing

Organizer
          October 20, 2020 at 9:13 am

Hi Todd, Would love to see your figure drawings now, after all of you recent studying.

• Simon

November 5, 2019 at 1:13 pm

Two drawings from last night’s figure drawing session at Drawing New York.

• Jeff

November 3, 2019 at 1:42 am

Hey! 

This was from one of Drawing New York’s recent Sunday sessions. Greer is an awesome model. 

• Brian

March 22, 2020 at 4:49 pm

Hi Jeff, I am really intrigued with the way you have used “secondary” lines to shape his figure and illustrate light at the same time. Very successful in combination with bold assured outline strokes. A lot to think about there, thanks

• Simon

November 5, 2019 at 1:11 pm

Hi Jeff. What is awesome about his drawing and Greer is that he is a terrific figure model and that comes through even in this longer, more developed work. Good job!

• Christopher

October 28, 2019 at 5:06 am

From a session a couple weeks ago. 

• Drawing

Organizer
      October 28, 2019 at 11:06 am

Hi Christopher, What part of the world are you located in and where do you draw? Thank you for sharing this. 

• Christopher

October 28, 2019 at 8:00 pm

I am in the US, in Portland Oregon. I usually do figure studies one to 2 times per week at Hipbone studios, and practice at home in the evenings and weekends, whenever I can from photo reference.

Join Waitlist We will inform you when the product arrives in stock. Please leave your valid email address below.